February. The short month. It seems to me that it should be longer to give us a chance to catch up from the holidays, the New Year and now we are off and running into the second month. February is the Friendship month and the month to take care of your pet’s dental health (who knew?). Of course there is Valentine’s Day so start thinking about how you are going to let that special someone in your life know that they are “the one” for you! Check out our downtown local shops for unique gift ideas and eateries for that special dinner night out. If you are looking to know what is happening around town, go to Theresadesoto.com and check the Community Connection link for all the goings on around town. If you are visiting you will also find information links for where to eat, stay, worship and play!!! And if you want to make everybody’s Hometown your own The deSoto Team can help. If you are looking for your dream home, selling your current home, or both…. we are your friendly hometown realtors and we are………
Making dreams come true……one home at a time!!!
I’m not just February
With winds that blow
All day, and piled-up snow;
I’m Washington and Lincoln, too,
Who kept our country’s flag for you!
I’m Valentine of airy grace—
With golden hearts and hearts of lace
And pretty cards that people send,
Quite as a secret, to a friend.
Though I am short of days and small,
I’m quite a big month, after all!
by Annette Wynne
The Month of February is . . .
- Friendship Month
- Pet Dental Health Month
- National Snack Food Month
- National Bake for Family Fun Month
- National Grapefruit Month
WEEKS TO CELEBRATE!
- February 1 – 7: National Patient Recognition Week
- February 7 – 14: National Marriage Week
- February 13 – 19: Random Acts of Kindness Week
- February 20 – 26: Brotherhood/Sisterhood Week
DAYS TO CELEBRATE!
- 2nd – National Tater Tot Day
- 7th – National Send a Card to a Friend Day
- 8th – National Kite Flying Day
- 11th – National Don’t Cry Over Spilled Milk Day
- 16th – Do a Grouch a Favor Day
- 26th – Tell a Fairy Tale Day
THERESA’S TASTY TREATS
Butternut Squash Chili
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch chunks (Note 1)
- 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth, plus 2 tablespoons for sautéing
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Sauté: Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable broth in large pot over medium heat. Add garlic, chipotles, and butternut squash to pot, cooking for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more vegetable broth if pot gets dry. Add bell pepper, cooking for another 5 minutes.
Simmer: Add black beans, pinto beans, diced tomatoes (including liquid in can), 1.5 cups vegetable broth, quinoa, and all spices (paprika, cinnamon, salt, pepper). Stir well. Bring to simmer. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes or until butternut squash is tender. Serve.
Andy’s Actually Factual Facts:
- The first known recipe of Angel Food Cake was published in 1878.
- Scientists have no idea how dinosaurs mated.
- Rabbits can be literally “scared to death” if approached by a predator when they are totally unaware.
- Another term for your nieces or nephews would be “niblings.”
- It requires seven to eight trees to provide enough oxygen for just one person per year.
- Walking uses a total of 200 muscles with every step you take.
- In general, people tend to read as much as 10% slower from a screen than from paper.
- The insurance company backing the payouts for “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire” sued the show for being too easy.
- Every day in the U.S., more than 100,000 people get a speeding ticket.
- Eating a banana can help to form a lining that prevents heartburn from getting worse.