Welcome to February
Welcome in February! We get 29 days this month to enjoy winter or to long for Spring. We won’t know how long we have till Phil looks for his shadow! The tradition of predicting weather on February 2nd dates back to the Dark Ages. Peasants and farmers first noticed a strong connection between a bright, sunny, medieval Candlemas Day and long, dreary winter weather extending into the next 6 weeks. Punxsutawney, PA held the first Groundhog Day in the 1800’s. Punxsutawney Phil has been at Gobbler’s Knob, predicting whether spring is near, since February 2, 1887. Phil sees his shadow about 9 out of 10 times. When he’s not at Gobbler’s Knob, Punxsutawney Phil and 3 other groundhogs, including his wife, Phyllis, live in the children’s portion of the Punxsutawney Memorial Library. A groundhog can whistle when it is alarmed. Groundhogs also whistle in the spring when they begin courting. Punxsutawney Phil is not the only one to come out on February 2 to make a prediction on when winter will be over. He is by far the best known.
I predict that our weather is beautiful year round with the four seasons. If you are looking to join us here in beautiful Prescott Arizona, remember, I am you friendly home town realtor and I can help you find your dream home, sell your present home………or both! Making dreams come true…………….one home at a time!
Biting chills, and
White snow fluffed hills
Valentine’s Day, oh how gay!
Presidents ‘Day is coming our way.
February, sweet and small, greatest month of all.”
– Eric Lies – 28 Word Poems for February
- February 2, 1925 >> Sears, Roebuck Opens Its First Store
- February 4, 2004 >> Facebook is founded by Mark Zuckerberg
- February 8, 1922 >> President Warren G. Harding has a radio installed in the White House
- February 11, 1929 >> Vatican City Gains independent sovereignty
- February 14, 1778 >> American ship “Ranger” carried the Stars and Stripes to a foreign port for the first time as it arrived in France,
- February 16, 1659 >> A cheque is used for the first time in Britain as Mr. Nicholas Vanacker settles a debt.
February Days To Observe
- 2nd- National Tater Tot Day
- 7th -National Send a Card to a Friend Day
- 11th -National Don’t Cry Over Spilled Milk Day
- 14th -National Ferris wheel Day
- 16th– National Do A Grouch a Favor Day
- 26th -National Tell a Fairy Tale Day
February’s Reasons to Celebrate!
- Spunky Old Broads Month
- Pull Your Sofa Off The Wall Month
- National Time Management Month
- National Hot Breakfast Month
- National Goat Yoga Month
Theresa’s Trivia Tidbits!
- On average, people fear spiders more than they do death.
- In the United States, a pound of potato chips costs two hundred times more than a pound of potatoes.
- One in every four Americans has appeared on television.
- Almonds are members of the peach family.
- Coca-Cola was originally green.
- There are only four words in the English language which end in “-dous”: tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.
- “Go,” is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.
- No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver, or purple.